Weight gain during menopause seems to be a common problem that many women are forced to deal with. There are a lot of factors for this, including age, hormones, genetics, as well as your hobbies. That said, menopause and weight gain are very individual, so the situation differs from one woman to another. Luckily, there are more than enough ways how you can lose some pounds.
Any woman should clearly understand that reducing weight and maintaining its normal levels may be both connected with risks. For example, to maintain your normal weight during menopause, it is all as easy as it seems. Exercise, eat often but with small portions, exclude the excessive consumption of sweets, and reduce alcohol drinking. It already may bring you to losing weight. But, as for risks, some women tend to be over healthy and cut down habits that may be vital. Such as following natural detoxes can be a doubtful therapy because simple consumption of enough water daily in sufficient amounts can be the same helpful for you to balance diet, and boost metabolism. If speaking of weight loss during menopause, one should increase physical activity but it may lead to osteoporosis. Then, the nutritional restriction also harms one woman. Commonly, menopausal women cut down fats or carbohydrates that are necessary for organs and the general well-being of bones. That’s why they should increase the consumption of calcium, and take vitamins.
As you may see, there is no such golden mean. If you believe you drastically gain your weight, and cannot cope with it with exercises or previous meal schedule, address this concern to a doctor.
Risks of Weight Gain After Menopause
There are a lot of them, but the most common ones are:
- Elevated blood pressure
- Different heart diseases
- Breathing problems
In addition, unintentional weight gain during menopause raises the risk of different types of cancers, such as mammary cancer and uterine cancer.
Unfortunately, additional fat in your waistline increases these risks. Therefore, if your waist is currently thirty-five inches and more, now is the time to take additional steps.
What Causes Weight Gain During Menopause
I have already mentioned some of the possible reasons at the start of the article, but let’s take a deeper look at the menopause and weight gain reasons:
The effects of estrogen
Reduced estrogen decreases the metabolic rate, which doesn’t let our organism turn the stored energy into working power. Shortage of estrogen can also make our body less successful in the use of blood sugar, raising fat storage. This makes it very hard to gain any weight at all.
Originally, the synthesis of estrogens starts during puberty and lasts until the perimenopause. They are responsible for female youth and beauty as well as emotional state and libido. If she lacks it, there are skin deterioration, osteoporosis, decreased sexual desire, and so on.
Besides, estrogens play a crucial role in affecting the collagen activity and connective tissue level. With their decline in the tissues, they both lose elasticity, skin becomes thin, wrinkles and stretch marks appear. Especially, during the diets, one can notice how lost weight provoked her skin look dangling. And, unfortunately only surgical intervention can bring it back. If estrogen is replaced with hormone replacement therapy, skin improves and diets less affect the skin and well-being.
But, as for estrogens’ negative role when they decline, they become less efficient in fat burning. And, women cannot lose weight like it was at a young age. On the other hand, during menopause, estrogen formation occurs mainly in adipose tissue which slightly reduces estrogen deficiency.
When women get older, there are many things that lead to an increase in weight. Here are some of them:
● Lack of exercise. More than 60% of adult don’t get enough physical activity and this number just keeps growing with age;
● Loss of muscle mass. This reduces the rest of your metabolism and makes menopause weight gain a lot more likely;
● The level of energy you can use during your workout decreases. You may have to increase your exercise time and frequency to lose the same amount of weight that you have in the past.
- Number of children
- Side effects of medications
- Slow metabolism
As for genetics, it is a proven fact that hereditary factor also impacts weight loss. If your family and you struggled with excessive fat for life, it is normal that you cannot lose it even with menopause or experience its gain continuously. In this case, only hormone replacement therapy may greatly help. And, of course, a consultation with the endocrinologist who may check your thyroid and report whether it is imbalanced and provokes additional problems.
Note, even though reasons can be very wide, do not start treatment at the sole discretion and do not diagnose yourself with the above-mentioned issues. Women differ in their manifestations during weight gain menopause, and you can do harm to your body with diets and medications for weight loss.
Menopause Weight Gain Treatment
Menopause weight gain solutions are diverse but women yearly or even daily do one mistake. They cut down carbohydrates, fats and live on protein or only water to help themselves lose weight faster. If following such a strategy, it won’t be a surprise you will experience stomach ulcers or disorders that will require you to undergo hospitalization. Remember, even if you believe one or another diet can help, it is not an approved method without a doctor’s permission. Menopause is tricky and if detox could previously help, today with a climax it will be harder or impossible.
Let’s take a look at some of the menopause weight gain solutions:
- Be more active. For example, aerobics and strength training will help in losing pounds and keeping your weight healthy. The body burns calories more quickly when you gain muscle — which makes it easier to regulate the weight. It is recommended to a brisk walk for a minimum of 150 minutes a week. Experts also suggest strength training workouts at least twice a week. You may need to exercise more if you are tired of having to deal with menopause and weight gain. If you cannot proceed with exercises in the gym or swimming, it cannot be considered an excuse. Today, there are many workouts for a home that you can access even from the YouTube platform. But, do not overexercise.
- Eat less. Choose what you eat and drink very carefully in order to reduce calories and still feel full. Think about eating more fruits and vegetables, particularly the less processed ones with more fiber. If you cannot live without sweets, do not cause stress to your body. Reduce their number, or organize a cheat meal once per month or week. It will help you keep organized and do not lie to yourself that you will start again from Monday.
- Curb your drinking. Alcoholic drinks contain way too many calories, making weight gain during menopause a lot more probable. Drink water with lemon in the morning to wake up your metabolism. But, do not be crazy about acid, its excessive consumption in the form of lemons can cause damage to some organs. Moreover, do not drink too much prior to sleeping, you can wake up swollen. Manage your water regimen. Two liters are more than enough to help your metabolic processes.
- Improve your sleep. Sleep disorders are very common during menopause, and can also result in menopause weight gain. A lack of sleep has the same effect on your weight as hormonal shifts, making you want to eat more and cause your body to gather fat. Thus, it’s very important to fix your sleeping difficulties.
- Drink green tea. It helps boost metabolism and helps the digestive tract to dissolve everything faster. If possible check for certain Chinese teas. Chinese ladies can boast their secret of thin figures. They always drink tea, and if there is no tea, they drink hot water. Yes, even if it is super hot outside, they will cool themselves with hot water. It also contributes to digesting.
- Find motivation. Ask your family to support you and eat healthily with you. If you see them eating your favorite guilty pleasures, you will not resist such temptations, and your weight will only increase.
Besides, you can practice breathing techniques that also profit weight loss. They are called body flex. The main idea is to hold your breath for seconds and do exercise on one part of the body, for example on the belly. The burning will be concentrated on it, and you will lose weight. But, check for the contraindications, it does not fit everyone. And, make a habit of using stairs wherever you are, it can keep you fit without visiting gyms.
All in all, weight gain during menopause is a normal occurrence in women. It is worthless comparing yourself to young ages when you could keep your body fit with no trouble. Now, estrogens will dictate how your skin looks like, and no diets can greatly help you drop some pounds quickly. Visit a physician, discuss with him treatment options and follow his recommendations. Menopause is another opportunity to prove you can look healthy and active even after 50.
Why am I gaining weight after menopause?
It happens because of the hormonal changes that previously were responsible for the regulation of your metabolic function.
What hormones affect weight gain in menopause?
Primarily, it is estrogen.
How to stop the menopause weight gain?
Follow a balanced diet and exercise.
Do I need to use HTR to stop weight gain in menopause?
Yes, it can replace estrogen. The right balance of hormones will help stop menopause weight gain.
Leave us your review about this article!
Submit your review