Progesterone is a steroid hormone produced in women by the ovaries and, in a small amount, by the adrenal glands. The level of the hormone in the blood rises significantly during ovulation and decreases at the time of menstruation. Progesterone and similar synthetic substances, progestins, play a huge role in the female body: they stimulate the growth and development of the mammary glandular tissue, take part in the transformation of the endometrium, prepare the female body for pregnancy and its bearing, affect the woman’s immune system during pregnancy, take part in metabolism. However, even in the climacteric period, when a woman is not going to have children anymore, the appropriate level of such hormone is very important.
The low progesterone symptoms during menopause shouldn’t be ignored by a woman since they signalize about severe issues in the female body.
The lack of progesterone hormone in women, generally, can talk about female health problems such as:
- Lack of ovulation;
- Hormone imbalance;
- Uterine bleeding;
- Chronic diseases of the reproductive system of an infectious or inflammatory nature;
- Malfunctions in the endocrine system.
Symptoms Of Low Progesterone Menopause
Specialists claim that the most common symptoms of low progesterone in menopause are the following sings:
- increased hairiness of intimate places;
- the sebum of the skin;
- the appearance of acne and blackheads;
- the enhanced density of the mammary glands and a feeling of pain when pressed on them;
- the abundance of menstruation;
- pain in the menstrual cycle due to low progesterone in menopause;
- dryness in the vagina, pain during intercourse with the release of blood from the vagina;
- sleep disturbances;
- change in the emotional background for the worse: frequent depression, mood swings, and anxiety.
If a menopausal female has noticed the described above conditions, most likely, she experiences a significant low progesterone menopause drawback.
Why Is It Important To Keep It Normal Progesterone Level?
In addition to the fact of fertilization, pregnancy, and childbearing, the hormone progesterone also serves a number of functions, it:
- suppresses excessive uterine contractions;
- regulates the frequency of the menstrual cycle;
- resists the leaps of estrogen.
Also, the hormone is responsible for the normal development and maintenance of bone tissue integrity. The low progesterone symptoms menopause must not be treated carelessly in no way.
It often happens that the level of progesterone drops, in menopausal women, which can lead to the most unpleasant consequences. It would seem that during the climacteric it is not needed at all since the children have already grown up, it’s time to nurse grandchildren and enjoy life. However, low progesterone symptoms are expressed in poor health and malaise, which significantly interferes with enjoying life in this period.
Low Progesterone Levels Menopause. What To Do?
In the very recent past, menopause was treated with the help of hormonal drugs that contained the only estrogen in their composition. It was believed that in such a way it is possible to solve the health problems that arise during the menopausal period. It turned out that this is not so. The symptoms of low progesterone in menopause couldn’t be relieved using this method.
Estrogen therapy during menopause is fraught with extremely serious consequences, which are heart failure and oncology. To date, the principles of hormonal therapy have been slightly adjusted: a woman is prescribed the HRT only on an individual basis, having carried out a number of studies and finding out exactly which hormones her body lacks. That is, with hormone replacement therapy during the climacteric, the patient is prescribed several types of hormones to combat symptoms of low progesterone levels, and such a solution is really the most optimal.
In other words, to relieve low progesterone symptoms female during menopause, a doctor prescribes you to take both progesterone and estrogen. Also, they make sure that in preparation both hormones are in strict balance. In order for the health provider to clearly adjust the dose of hormones, you need to take an analysis of hormones. This can be done in any laboratory, and the test is very simple: you just need to come in the morning and donate blood from a vein. However, such a procedure will require some material costs.
How To Pass The Blood Test For Low Progesterone Symptoms Correctly?
As you know, the result of the blood analysis depends on how well the patient passes it, and how much she is enlightened by the doctor on this issue.
When passing the test for low progesterone and menopause, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Do not eat before the test, blood for analysis for hormones is taken on an empty stomach. Still, you can drink any amount of water you want.
- Try to carry out the test as early as possible, ideally in the morning. Though, it is permissible to do it in the whole first half of the day.
- Before taking blood tests for low progesterone after menopause, exclude any intense physical exertion.
- At least three days before visiting the test site, try to be calm and not be nervous for any reason, since stress itself provokes the release of hormones, and this can give an unreliable analysis result.
- The day before the low progesterone symptoms test, do not have sex.
- A week before the day X, do not drink strong tea and coffee, exclude the use of alcohol in any quantity, do not smoke.
- Do not take any medications, or at least inform your doctor about which medications you drank if you can’t refuse to take them.
Attention! Since the menstrual cycle is irregular with menopause, it is best to retake the blood test for low progesterone menopause several times to ensure reliability and avoid an unfortunate mistake. Please note that if the first time the blood was donated in a certain laboratory, then the second and subsequent times it should be donated also there.
The most crucial thing in this situation for the low progesterone postmenopausal woman is to listen to her body, in the first place, and do not ignore the signals it gives.