Evening primrose oil (EPO) is among the best treatments that can be used to relieve menopause symptoms. It is an oil obtained from the seeds of evening primrose. In fact, it is widely advertised nowadays by many bloggers, and you won’t find a gynecologist who won’t speak of oil benefits. Besides, this remedy is affordable and you can find it even at $5.
EPO contains high GLA concentrations that contribute to the production of prostaglandins. It is intended to help deal with hormonal changes that women experience due to menopause.
Evening primrose oil benefits were appreciated not only in North America, but also in South America: the Incas and Mayans also actively used it, and the Peruvian Indians called it “drinking blood” and used it as a universal plant for wounds, digestion problems, and headaches, colic, to regulate the menstrual cycle, stop internal bleeding. Mexican Pima tribes considered evening primrose the best remedy for heat and colds, and Chinateca – for infertility and for healing the skin.
Already with the active development of aromatherapy practices, this oil began to be actively studied, while it was fully appreciated only in the 70s of the last century, in particular, its unique ability to enhance the healing properties of other base oils was revealed.
Benefits of Evening Primrose Oil
For our body, linoleic and linolenic acids are of vital importance. These polyunsaturated fatty acids in our body are not synthesized, we can get them exclusively with food. So these acids are found in large quantities in the seeds of this plant. The lack of these acids in the body leads to the appearance of dry skin, an increase in its sensitivity, and often to inflammation. In addition to essential fatty acids, the oil contains many necessary vitamins and beneficial components. It can be used not only externally, but also internally as prophylaxis of various diseases.
This oil has antimicrobial, antitumor, antithrombotic and restorative properties, which helps strengthen immunity, cell membranes, walls of blood vessels, bones. It also has the ability to lower the level of bad cholesterol and blood sugar, normalize blood pressure and hormonal balance, purify the blood and improve its structure. This oil has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, regulating its work, preventing the development of blood clots and atherosclerotic plaques, as well as the occurrence of heart attacks and strokes. In combination with complex drug treatment, it helps to cure atherosclerosis, in addition, it has the ability to neutralize the negative effects of drugs on the body.
Evening primrose oil can help out in one of the following cases:
- Evening primrose oil for menopause hot flashes. Hot flashes are among the most popular menopause symptoms ladies have to deal with. Sudden sensations of extreme heat, most visible on the upper parts of your body, will make you feel cool and sweaty. In addition, they can really affect your sleep and cause insomnia. According to many studies, EPO can be very helpful against hot flash and is proven to be more effective than a placebo. However, it has no effect on frequency or duration.
- Evening primrose oil for menopause mood swings. EPO has proven to be very effective for women with mood swings. What it does is raises our brain’s serotonin levels to make sure that our moods stay more balanced in general.
- Menopause breast pain. Such pain usually involves menstruation, but menopausal women are also affected by it. An important advantage of EPO is that it can help you get rid of breast pain.
- Menopause osteoporosis. Both EPO and fish oil can be used to increase the absorption of calcium and stimulate bone growth.
- Menopause rheumatoid arthritis. In this case, symptoms can get a lot worse with a decrease in estrogen. However, it is possible to reduce these symptoms because of the anti-inflammatory effect of the EPO.
- Menopause eczema. According to numerous studies, EPO can be used to help soothe dry skin conditions, like eczema. It is just as effective as a placebo in this matter.
- Evening primrose oil for menopause can also be used for a variety of other conditions, including joint pain, hair loss, tension, nervousness, etc.
Cosmetic properties are most pronounced on sensitive, allergic, dry and irritated skin, on which the oil after the application has an instant soothing and relieving irritation and redness. Such oil, added to any base matched by skin type, is suitable for regular or special care as a nutritional supplement – emollient, restoring beauty, tone, and health. This base has anti-aging characteristics, in particular, the ability to prevent aging and sagging skin. Perfect for restoring healthy skin condition, broken due to hormone imbalance.
With constant use, evening primrose oil for menopause symptoms has also a beneficial effect on varicose veins, helps to restore and maintain skin tone with a sharp decrease in weight and other changes. In addition to the restoring effect, it has a cleansing effect that allows you to achieve an even texture and color, including promoting the removal of age spots.
EPO Side Effects
Since evening primrose actively affects the sexual sphere, regulates hormones and activates regenerative processes, it is better not to use it during pregnancy, except for the use approved by the attending physician in cases of emergency.
Evening primrose oil for menopause is absolutely safe for the majority of people. That being said, it can cause some side effects, like abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea. Most of the time it happens because the dose is too high. There might also be additional side effects, like hypersensitivity, hypoglycemia, bleeding, seizures, and so on. However, these kinds of side effects happen very rarely.
EPO must not be used together with other medications (these include blood pressure and blood-thinning medications, and antidepressants). You should also stay away from the oil if you are planning a surgery in the near future.
Evening Primrose Oil Dosage for Menopause
It can be used both orally and topically. It is recommended to take twelve capsules every day, with a dosage of five hundred mg per capsule.
If you are interested in this product and want to use it to relieve or avoid menopause-related symptoms, you should first contact your healthcare provider and discuss all of the possible risks.
Check the most bothering questions regarding this remedy. If you have any other concerns, contact the Menopause Coach and receive necessary information about menopause treatment.
What is this Evening Primrose Oil for?
Evening primrose is a plant from America used for making oil. It is actively applied to treat and moderate menopause symptoms. Regarding other indications, it shows the efficiency to affect eczema, psoriasis, acne, dry, itchy skin.
Is such evening primrose oil good for the menopause?
Depending on the level of severity of your menopause symptoms, this oil is considered a working solution to relive them. However, it is highly recommended to consult a doctor.
What evening primrose oil is good for the menopause?
Some of the best-selling solutions on the market are Natural Nutra, Metagenics OmegaGenics, and Evening Primrose Oil 1300.
How to use evening primrose oil for menopause?
You can take it either orally or topically. The recommended dosage is eight up to twelve capsules. Make sure to receive a full administration instruction from your gynecologist.